Bridgnorth Cliff Railway Celebrates their 125th Birthday
On the 7th July 2017 Bridgnorth Cliff Railway will be celebrating the 125th anniversary of its opening by the Mayor of the time John Anderson in 1892.
The Railway is the oldest and steepest Inland Electric Funicular Railway and founded by George Croydon Marks, cousins of the Tipping family who currently own the heritage site. In 1890 the High Town and Low Town of Bridgnorth was separated by 200 steps; there was a public meeting about means of communication and travel between the two towns, and construction began in November 1891 and opened in July 1892 with a golden key.
For the original opening George Croyden Marks put together a booklet, written and illustrated by himself. For the 125th anniversary, Dr Tipping has reprinted a copy, showing traders from 125 years ago. You can order a copy, created by Buckingham Covers at www.buckinghamcovers.com/bridgnorth or telephone 01303 278137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details about the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway visit the website www.bridgnorthcliffrailway.co.uk
Date Posted: 7th July 2017